December 4 - 6, 2017
Dates: December 4-6, 2017
The goals of this workshop were:
- to collect the vision and requirements from service providers and operators on technical requirements of VR services.
- to assess VR360 production formats constraints and identify processing required for distribution.
- to learn about the various VR360 standardization efforts (from 3GPP, VRIF, MPEG, Khronos, DVB etc.) and to discuss alignment of these efforts.
The workshop consisted of the following half-day sessions:
- VR Content production
- Device/hardware ecosystems
- Operators/Service providers’ requirements
- VR360 Standardization efforts
The workshop included a networking session and technology demos.
Each session contained presentations and panel discussions to ensure that upcoming VR standards are aligned with:
- Industry’s production formats
- VR service providers’ requirements
- Device capabilities and their evolution
Audience members attended to:
- Hear experts discuss vision for VR services
- Learn about hardware requirements and device evolution
- Get up to speed on standardization efforts worldwide
- Network with VR industry leaders and peers
- Show your technology during the networking drinks Monday evening.
VRIF also held a 6DoF Mixer on Wednesday, December 6.
Virtual Reality is an emerging field that we can see on the horizon after the VR experience with 3 degrees of freedom that is currently being deployed, and the “3DoF+” that will add support for limited parallax. MPEG has identified 2 major technologies for 6DoF Virtual Reality: Point Cloud Compression (based on object modeling) and Light Field Coding. Both have a standardization horizon beyond 2020. As these are very disruptive technologies affecting the entire ecosystem, this will require significant collaboration in our industry to deploy. In other words: we need to start preparing for this revolution.
The workshop and 6DoF were held at the Ericsson Conference Facility – Santa Clara Square, 2625 Augustine Drive, 1st Floor Conference Center, Santa Clara, CA 95054, USA