April 15 - 16, 2019
15 and 16 April 2019, Sony Studios, Culver City, CA, USA
3GPP, VRIF & AIS Present:
The 2nd Workshop on VR Ecosystems and Standards
The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and the Virtual Reality Industry Forum (VRIF), in cooperation with the Advanced Imaging Society (AIS), announce the second Workshop on VR Ecosystems & Standards, themed “Immersive Media meets 5G”. The workshop is open to all interested parties and will take place on 15-16 April 2019, at Sony Pictures, Culver City, CA, USA, immediately after NAB and 3GPP SA4#103.
The second edition will focus on next-generation immersive formats and services, including Virtual, Augmented & Mixed Reality, and it will investigate 5G business opportunities brought by immersive services – as well as their requirements.
Detailed information below. Please register soon; space is limited:
We look forward to seeing you in Culver City!
Frédéric Gabin, 3GPP SA4 Chairman
Paul Higgs, VRIF President
The Workshop includes the following sessions:
- XR Content Production: Immersive formats, production systems and workflows.
- XR & 5G Hardware Ecosystems: immersive media device update, expected Quality of Experience, computation requirements and distribution, device and network connectivity requirements.
- XR & 5G Operators/Service Provider expectations: short/mid-term platform/network requirements for VR, AR, MR services ?
- XR & 5G Standardization activities: a review of ongoing standardization activities from 3GPP, VR-IF, MPEG and other industry groups dealing with XR and/or 5G.
Each of these half-day session will contain presentations from major XR & 5G industry players and discussion with the speakers and the audience. There will be Keynote Presentations by Sony Pictures and the Advanced Imaging Society. A demonstration area will feature key innovations in VR, AR, XR and 5G.
A more complete program will be published soon; confirmed to speak are representatives from:
- Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Advanced Imaging Society
What is the Workshop’s Goal?
Understanding the future of the immersive Media Ecosystem and Services, and the technologies and standards required to make it happen. Understanding where the opportunities are and which gaps need to be filled to maximize the potential of immersive media services.
Why Should I Attend?
The workshop consists of an exchange of views and ideas between experts, which includes the participants as well as speakers. It contains diverse and interesting expert talks, no marketing, but a technical and insightful conversation. The workshop offers networking opportunities with peers and experts working at the cutting edge of (mobile) networking technologies and immersive services. You can also experience (and show!) the latest Immersive Media & 5G demos.
What Will I Learn ?
Providers of immersive content and services will understand how immersive media is enabled by 5G, what the most compelling features are that make 5G different from previous mobile standards – and what the timelines are. Those building technologies will better understand which requirements are essential for immersive services, and what may still be missing. Those working on standards and specs will understand where the most immediate needs are for well-defined interfaces.
Who will attend?
The first edition included speakers from Samsung, Verizon, Littlstar, Orange, AMD, Qualcomm, Intel, Comcast, DVB, CTA, VRIF, 3GPP W3C, EBU, Khronos, DVB, DASH-IF, Advanced Imaging Society, Ericsson, Imeve, Technicolor, TNO, Baobab Studios, Gaudio Lab, …
The Workshop on “Immersive Media Meets 5G” will start on Monday 15th April at 9:00 and close on Tuesday 16th April at 17:00.
Location: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Rita Hayworth Room
10202 West Washington Blvd.
Culver City, 90232 CA, USA
Also see the map.
The location provides onsite parking. There are many hotels and restaurants nearby. Morning and afternoon coffee breaks and lunch will be provided on both days, and there will be a drinks reception on Monday evening. WLAN/Internet access will be available during the meeting.
Registration for the workshop is mandatory, and space is limited. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis, so please register soon. A registration fee will be asked to cover coffee breaks and lunch. Early registration is $99 and after March 15th the fee will be $199.
Please register here as soon as convenient.
We invite demonstrations during the drinks reception on Monday evening from 18:00 – 20:00 hours, as well as during breaks throughout the event. A $950 fee will be used to cover the cost of the reception. This fee includes the registration of two attendees to the workshop. Please contact Mauricio Aracena (email@example.com) or one of the co-chairs for details.
The hotels below are a short distance to Sony Pictures Entertainment. There is no room block reserved for this meeting.
- The Culver Hotel ****, 9400 Culver Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232
Well-known chain hotels within around 10 minutes’ drive:
- Double Tree by Hilton ***, 6161 W Centinela Ave, Culver City, CA 90230
- Four Points by Sheraton ***, 5990 Green Valley Cir, Culver City, CA 90230
- Courtyard by Marriott ***, 6333 Bristol Pkwy, Culver City, CA 90230
- Best Western Royal Palace Inn & Suites ***, 2528 S Sepulveda Blvd, LA, CA 90064
- Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles ***, 11250 Santa Monica Blvd, LA, CA 90025
- There are many additional smaller hotels and motels within 10 minutes’ drive.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), approx. 20 minutes’ drive from the venue.
- Burbank Airport (BUR) is another option, approx. 45 minutes away.
There is free parking at the Sony Pictures Entertainment facility and no permit is required.
Wireless LAN Internet access will be provided.